Moodle Student FAQ
Forum subscriptions and emails
What are forum subscriptions?
Forum subscriptions allow you to (via email) stay up-to-date with conversations in any given forum.
When you subscribe to a forum, you will receive a notice (via email) for each post made to that forum. This can be desirable for keeping tabs on conversations or undesirable in a particularly busy forum.
Forum subscriptions are controlled by the following:
- Your instructor may choose to make a forum’s subscription mandatory, automatic, optional, or disabled.
- You may have personal preferences whether you want to be subscribed or not to a forum when given the option.
You can change your personal preferences at any time.
Changing your forum subscription defaults
- Open the User Menu from the down-arrow located at the top-right of any Moodle page
- Click the Preferences link
- Under User Account, click the Forum preferences link
Locate Forum auto-subscribe and select your preference.
We suggest you change your settings to the following to reduce clutter in your inbox and increase readability of Forum posts in a class:
- Email Digest Type: Complete: This will send a daily forum digest.
- Forum auto-subscribe: No. Where applicable, this will require you to check the subscribe box as you reply to a post.
- Forum Tracking: Yes. This will list the number of unread posts, so you can see where the new forum content is located.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page
- Click the Save Changes button to save your changes
NOTE: This will NOT update the settings for existing forums where you have already posted. If you have already subscribed to a forum, you must manually change your subscription settings for that forum from within the Administration block. You must repeat this process for each forum.